Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Exciting stuff, and everything in between

Okay, so I just had my interview Saturday...and honestly.. I wasn't nervous at all.

I went in with an open mind, and with that I excelled.

They asked me general questions that I expected them to ask, and then they asked a few questions that I had to stop and think about before I answered.

After my interview, I went back to the room where we (all the other applicants and myself) played numerous "icebreaking" games. We had to build living room furniture...out of our bodies.. and we also had to create a ship that moved, with our bodies. Sounds odd, but it was A LOT of fun.
We also played this game "honey do you love me?" it was really fun, and it definitely had us all laughing.
We played many other games as well.

Then after sitting in the room getting to know each other, and listening to the alumni talk about their experiences in Germany, we went out to lunch and got to know each other even better.

I wish everyone that I met at the Lexington interview event could get the scholarship, because they were the greatest people ever. On that note, we find out April 2-- I'm so excited I can't wait.

It really hasn't hit me yet that "whoa, I could possibly be going to Germany in July, for 11 months."
I think that will settle in, If I recieve the scholarship.

Future CBYXers!
If you've reached the semifinalist stage CONGRATULATIONS! This is something to be very proud of because the people who viewed your app saw you as a potential candidate and want to know more about you! Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.

Interview:

I know some people flip the heck out when they go into their interview, but like I mentioned earlier, I went in not nervous, just open-minded, and I excelled. Really it's just 30 minutes with two people (this varies with what region you are in.) They're not there to intimidate you, so DON'T FREAK! I even had my interviewers laughing at one point (Though what I said, I didn't really mean for it to be funny... did I tell them this? No. I was the first interview, and if making a corny joke was allowing them to have something to remember me by, then so be it.)

The questions flew by it seemed like, they asked me general questions like "If you could choose one item to take to Germany with you, what would you choose and why?"
I stopped, though I knew what I would choose already, Smiled, and said my guitar. My papaw, who is now deceased, gave me that guitar, and taught me how to play when I was 7, so it holds a multitude of sentimental value- was my answer to the question. Then they asked what I would do with the guitar in Germany, and I replied: Maybe my host family would like to learn how to play? I could definitely give them lessons!
such easy questions, I thought.

Then they asked me a few hypothetical questions, like: Your host sibling used to hang out with you a lot and take you to parties, and to hang out with their friends, but now they don't. They go to parties, and go out, but don't invite you, and when they are home, they barely talk to you. What would you do?
I, of course, replied "I will talk to my host sibling and tell them how I feel, ask them why they are so distant from now when they weren't so before, and explain to them that I feel left out, and that's not how I should be feeling"

They asked me numerous other questions as well, but sadly.. they're fading from my memory already!
Really, you can't prepare yourself. And all the other people at the interview that day agreed. It's just something you have to go into head-on, expect the least, therefore get more out of it.

Dress nice to your interview, it really shows the interviewers that you care.
Have a parent at the interview, it shows that you have a strong support system...plus they have an awesome information session at the end that can help calm your parents nerves if they are iffy about letting you go abroad.

My experience just at my interview was phenomenal, I can only imagine what Germany will hold for me!

Bis zum nächsten Mal,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment